Last week I mentioned that my husband and I had several topics we wanted to discuss with our girls in the coming days. We began by talking about the importance of friends.
Here are some basics that we've covered.
Bible Verses about Friends:
· Proverbs 13:20, “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.”
· Proverbs 18:24 “A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”
· Proverbs 27:5,6 “Open rebuke is better than secret love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.”
· Proverbs 22:24-25, “Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to thy soul.”
· Proverbs 17:17, “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."
· Proverbs 27:17, “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.”
· Proverbs 19:6, “Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man is a friend to him that giveth gifts.”
List some characteristics of a good friend.
Give examples of good/bad friendships in the Bible. (Jonathan/David, Ruth/Naomi, Job’s friends, Amnon/Jonadab-II Samuel 13:3)
Share examples from your life of good/bad friendships.
Discuss different levels of friendships. (acquaintance, casual friend, close friend, best friend)
Quote on friendship: “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.” ~George Washington
What other important principles about friendship would you add?